Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the International Festival. Please see below for a list of commonly asked questions as it relates to being a festival volunteer. If you have further questions that are not addressed below, please contact the Office of International Programs at UNC Charlotte.
Does this Volunteer page on the International Festival website include volunteers for the Food & Culture booths, the Festival of Music & Dance or the Parade of Nations?
No. This volunteer page only manages volunteers for logistical needs before and during the festival. Those who are interested in volunteering at a particular booth, participating in the Music & Dance performances or being a part of the Parade of Nations should contact the Office of International Programs for more information.
How long are volunteer shifts?
Volunteer shifts are 2 hours each unless otherwise noted.
What if I cannot be present for the entire volunteer shift?
We ask that if you cannot volunteer for the full duration of the shift, that you kindly do not sign up for that volunteer shift. We expect all volunteers to be present for the full duration of the shift if they choose to sign up.
What volunteer shifts are available?
There are a variety of shifts available as a part of preparation for the festival and during the day of the festival. Volunteer responsibilities may include setting up and breaking down the festival, staffing the main information booth, handing out balloons, attendance counters and more. Use the following links to view the online sign up to see what shifts are available:
Do volunteer shifts require any heavy lifting, standing for long-periods of time or any other physical conditions I should be aware of?
Maybe. This will depend on the volunteer shift. Please view the online sign up to see the list of volunteer shifts, which will include a description that may give you a better idea of what to expect as far as volunteer responsibilities. Be sure not to sign up for a shift if you do not feel comfortable completing those volunteer duties.
I have a large group & we all want to volunteer together at the same time doing the same task. Is this possible?
We are happy you have a group interested in volunteering at the International Festival! Unfortunately, due to the scale of this event, we are not able to accommodate a group of volunteers who all want to volunteer together for the same shift at the same time. Instead, we ask that each individual signs up individually via the online sign up.
I signed up for a volunteer shift using the online sign up. Is there anything else I need to do?
Nope! Once you sign up for a volunteer shift, you will receive an automatic confirmation email sent to the email address you provided when signing up. This means you are confirmed as a volunteer for that shift and we expect you to arrive at Volunteer Check-in before the start of your shift!
How Can I View My Volunteer Shift(s) details?
You can view the shift(s) you signed up for 1 of 2 ways:
- Refer to the confirmation e-mail you received. This email is typically sent within 60 minutes of signing up. The email will come from "International Programs" and the subject line will be "You are signed up for International Festival 2017" - THANKS." This email will outline the name, time and description of your shift.
- Go to International Festival 2018 UNC Charlotte Volunteer Sign Up page. If you are using a browser that is logged into the same e-mail address that you used to sign up, the system should recognize your e-mail address and will say "Continue as Guest" or "Continue as [Your Name]." If the system does not recognize your e-mail address, please use the "Sign In" link at the top of the website and use the same e-mail you used when signing up.
How Can I Swap Volunteer Assignments with another Volunteer?
If you would like to swap your volunteer assignment with another volunteer, please do the following:
- Go to the International Festival 2018 UNC Charlotte Volunteer Sign Up page (a link to this page is also in your confirmation email)
- Click the swap icon () next to the assignment spot you wish to give away.
- Choose one or more spots you're available to swap with.
- SignUp.com will send out Swap Request emails on your behalf and notify you when the swap is successful
- Note that the Office of International Programs cannot guarantee that other volunteers will be able or willing to swap your shift. If you are not able to swap your shift and are unable to commit to the volunteer shift you signed up for, please cancel your sign up (see instructions below)
How Can I Remove Myself From a Shift I Signed Up For?
We truly appreciate you cancelling your shift if you are no longer able to commit to the event. You can cancel 1 of 2 ways:
- Go to the International Festival 2018 UNC Charlotte Volunteer Sign Up page. If you are using a browser that is logged into the same e-mail address that you used to sign up, the system should recognize your e-mail address and a pop-up box should appear: You should click the option that says, "Continue as [Your Name]." If the system does not recognize your e-mail address or the e-mail address is not the one you used when you signed up, please use the "Sign In" link at the top of the website and use the same e-mail you used when signing up. Once you are signed into the system, you should see a blue banner that says "My Spots." Once you click on the corresponding shift you want to cancel, click the trash can to delete spots you don't want or use the +/- signs to add or remove entries. Click save once you are finished making updates to your shift(s) OR;
- Contact the Office of International Programs at International@uncc.edu with your first and last name, e-mail address, shift name and time. We can then cancel the shift on your behalf.